In 2016, there was the first major revision to Illinois Divorce Laws to:
- eliminate all but one of the traditional grounds for divorce
- revise custody laws and terminology,
- adopt spousal maintenance guidelines based on gross incomes
In 2017, the child support laws were completely overhauled.
Adding to all of this has been the new tax laws passed by Congress in 2018. The new tax code greatly changes tax issues when maintenance/alimony is an issue.
With all these changes, you must carefully select a law firm that is prepared to navigate the best path forward. At Andreano & Lyons, we remain a litigation law firm - ready to fight for our client's rights along the way. However, we have also developed our practice to be flexible to meet each client's needs.
This approach recognizes some options to traditional litigation:
- Settlement reached between the parties
- Mediation with an independent mediator selected by the parties
- Collaborative divorce process
- Pretrial Conferences with the judge
Mon - Fri.
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The contents of this website are for advertisement and general information purposes only. You should not act on any of this information until you have consulted with an attorney. Every case is different and so is the advice given.